Putting a website into maintenance mode means making your website temporarily inaccessible to the public while updates or changes are being made.
You can use a free WordPress plugin to put your WordPress website into maintenance mode.
1. Log in to your WordPress dashboard
2. Go to Plugins → Add New Plugin
3. Search for the Maintenance plugin and click Install Now
4. Activate the Maintenance plugin
5. Once activated, navigate to the Maintenance settings page via the admin menu
6. Configure the plugin content preferences, to customize the message displayed to your visitors
7. Enable maintenance mode by toggling the enable setting within the plugin’s dashboard
8. Click the Save Changes button
Your site is now in maintenance mode, and visitors will see the maintenance page you have configured when visiting your website.