⚠️ Before converting an existing WordPress website into a WordPress multisite, it’s highly recommended to consult with a WordPress website developer due to the technical complexities involved.
WordPress multisite is a feature that allows you to create and manage a network of multiple WordPress websites from a single WordPress installation.
If you would like to create a new WordPress multisite from scratch, open this guide and follow all the steps: Install WordPress on your domain name and then go to the steps listed below.
If you have an existing WordPress website and would like to convert it to a WordPress multisite, you can go directly to the steps below.
1. (Recommended) Save a manual backup of your website files and database
2. Deactivate all plugins on your website
3. Log in to your hosting control panel
4. Click on the File Manager button
5. Double click on the domains folder
6. Locate your website domain name folder and double click it
7. Double click on the public_html folder
8. Locate the wp-config.php file and right click on it
9. Select Edit from the dropdown
10. Locate the /* That’s all, stop editing! Happy publishing. */ line
11. Right above that line, enable multisite by adding this code snippet:
define( 'WP_ALLOW_MULTISITE', true );
Here is an example of what it looks like:
12. Click the Save File button
13. Go to your WordPress dashboard
14. Go to Tools > Network Setup
15. Deactivate all plugins on your WordPress website
16. Fill out your Network Sites details
16. Copy the provided code snippets into your
.htaccess files as instructed, here is an image and video of code placements in each file:
17. Log in to your WordPress dashboard again when prompted
18. Click on My Sites > Network Admin to manage your network sites